Clean out Your Frig Soup
Needing room in your frig? What to do with all those leftover veggies that might just be on the way out, but not quite ready to go?
This soup takes no more than 20 minutes to prepare, and 1/2 hour to simmer, and you're in for a real treat.
I needed to make room in my frig for foods for my next Food for Life class. Time to clean out. Here are the veggies I had on hand. (Note: You can add any veggies of your choosing, whatever you have on hand. The spices and diced tomatoes make the difference.)
- 1/4 cp veggie broth
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, slices thin
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 large stalks Swiss chard, removed from stalk and chopped
- small package baby spinach
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 Brussel sprouts, cleaned and quartered
- 8 cps vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz.) cannellini beans (or any beans or your choosing - black, kidney, black eyed peas), rinsed and drained
- 1 tsps ground cumin
- 2 tsps ground fennel
- 2 tsps ground oregano
- 2 tsps ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat veggie broth and saute onion, garlic, celery, and carrots for 4 minutes. Add the Swiss chard, baby spinach, mushrooms, potatoes, Brussel sprouts, diced tomatoes and veggie broth. Add the beans and spices. Bring to a soft boil and then simmer for 1/2 hour.
This soup is hearty, healthy, filled with fiber, greens and a good dose of antioxidants. What more could you ask for? Enjoy!