Vegetarian Portuguese Kale Soup
This is my all time favorite, hearty, tasty, healthy soup - low calorie, nutrient dense!
Portuguese Kale Soup is a New England favorite. However, when loaded with chunks of artery clogging sausage, it becomes less desirable for those of us choosing a healthy lifestyle. This recipe retains the warmth and tasty heartiness of Kale Soup without the meat!
- 1/2 cp chopped onion
- 1/2 cp diced or sliced carrots
- 1/2 cp diced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cp diced white turnip
- large bunch of kale, cleaned, stems removed and chopped
- 8-10 cps organic vegetable broth or homemade veggie broth
- 15 oz. can black beans, well rinsed and drained (or use the equivalent of cooked beans)
- 15 oz. can red kidney beans, well rinsed and drained (or use the equivalent of cooked beans)
- 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes or use 2 cps chopped fresh plum tomatoes
- 2 cps diced cooked potatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsps of dried thyme or 1 T fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
In large soup pot saute, in either veggie broth or water, the onion, carrots, celery and garlic till soft, about 7 minutes. Add the turnip and saute another 3 minutes.
Add the kale and vegetable broth. Stir well and cook on medium heat for 7 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the potatoes, and bring to boil. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the cooked potatoes and simmer till all warm.
This soup is very versatile. Add other veggies that you enjoy. I've prepared this soup with zucchini and beans from the garden. You can omit the potatoes, cook some brown rice, and serve soup over the rice.
Adjust the seasonsings to suit your taste.
My husband requests that this soup always be on hand! A large bowl of soup with slice of grain bread makes a great, nutritious lunch.