Heart, Healthy Soup
- 2-3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2" piece of fresh ginger, diced
- 1 cp celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 16 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (28 oz.) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz.) can pureed tomatoes
- 28 oz. vegetable broth or water
- 2 lbs. Italian frozen vegetables
- 1 (8 oz.) bag fresh or frozen kale or collard greens (You can also add fresh kale tha has been chopped and steamed)
- 1 (14 oz.) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (14 oz.) can kidney beans
- 1cp cooked barley
- 1 T fennel seeds, ground
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ground pepper to taste
Saute the onions, celery, ginger and garlic in a little water for a few minutes, till all are soft. Add the mushrooms for another 2 minutes. then add all the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the cooked barley. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Add the cooked barley and simmer for another 10 minutes. If soup appears too 'tomato-ee', add a cup of water or veggie broth.
If you're in a hurry, you can skp the saute part, and just put all the ingredients in the pot, bring to a boil and simmer. This makes a large amount of soup. You can freeze in containers and have lunch at the ready any time you're hankering for a nice bowl of hearty soup.
Also, other grains can be used instead of barley - quinoa or brown rice.